Counseling & Consultation, LLC
Ethics & Boundaries
1. Having a sexual relationship with a client is permitted, as long as all parties report it to the state licensing board.
2. Nonmaleficence is defined as:
Treating others equally with respect.
Loyalty, faithfulness, and honoring commitments.
Respect for independece and self-determination.
Responsibility to guard against doing harm.
3. Documentation should be which of the following (check all that apply):
4. How long should clinical documentation be maintained post termination?
5. When is using jargon permitted in clinical documentation?
When it is commonly used throughout your agency
When you are in solo private practice
When your client pays for services out of pocket
6. Informed consent is defined as:
The client gives voluntary conset to treatment
The client is infomed that they are in counseling
The client consents to having a sexual realtionship with their therapist
The client gives permission for their therapist to share their information with others
7. Protected classes in client rights do NOT include:
8. Which of the following is NOT a step in ethical decision-making?
Identify the problem
Generate potential courses of action
Apply the Code of Ethics
Complete a Literature Review on the subject
9. Sue and Sue identified attributes of cultural competence as:
Having a friend that is a different race than you
Awareness of one's own personal beliefs, values, biases, and attitudes
Awareness and knowledge of the worldview of culturally diverse individuals and groups
Utilization of culturally appropriate intervention skills and strategies
10. What is the fundamental intent of confidentiality?
To prevent a client's family from knowing that theya re receiving services
To protect a client's rights to privacy by ensuring that matters disclosed to a professional not be relayed to others without the informed consent of the client
To allow a client to say whatever they want with no consequences
To prevent a client's secret desires to become known by their employer
11. Which of these are NOT limits of confidentiality?
Imminent Theft - Planning to steal something for financial gain
Imminent Harm to Self - Suicidal ideation, plan, and intent
Imminent Harm to Others - Homicidal ideation, plan, and intent
Abuse of a minor, an individual with a disabled, or someone over the age of 65
12. As mandated reporters, are clinicians legally or ethically obligated to report sucidal and homicidal intent?
Neither, this information is 100% confidential.
This is an ethical obligation only.
This is a legal obligation only.
This is both a legal and ethical obligation.
13. When the limits of confidentiality require you to make a report, you should:
Avoid making promises to the client about what will happen next
Hide the report from the client
Inform the client of the necessity to report
Make reasonable attempts for client safety and safety of others
14. Competence is defined as:
Having a degree in the field in which you are working
The knowledge, training, and skills necessary to effectively provide services
Being a licensed professional
The ability to pass a licensing exam
15. When is a parent of a minor permitted to acess their child's confidential records?
After the minor signs a release of information
At any time
Only during the session